Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 10-16-2020, 09:49 AM

I'm way behind in my replies, but they're coming! Each response is so considered and deserves and equally considered reply. I'm getting there...

one quickie though for Mark and populism...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UIASRm7WtRg

More later. In debt to each of you for your thoughts.
Unread 10-17-2020, 08:05 PM

Sam

Hi Sam! I'm late to your party. I'm very pleased that you find this effective and no mean feat. Very pleased. I mulled the Bishop poem for a time and thought the similarity in the stanza by stanza scene setups, the crowd around central figure/s, and the pressure forward. I do take it as a compliment. Thank you for your read; I hope to have even better poems going forward.

Catherine:
Your response has caused me the most unhappiness-- not b/c you have a somewhat playful WTF moment though. That's all good. But because your response points up, as salt in a cookie points up the sugar, or a cough in the distance points up the quiet, it that "What's up with the title" is the sum of female responses. I haven't missed that and worry a bit and wonder.

Aaron N. (again)
Thanks for the effort you put in. I can always count on in-depth thinking and feeling from you. What's needed and what's not. Each stanza details something different. If only seen as a dance song, they are clearly superfluos. Argentine Tango is something people study like a martial art or like Jazz. There's joy in the perfecting, there's joy in the participating. As regards the perfecting, that warrants the detail of the set up. As dance is in no social vaccuum, it warrants clarity to pre-empt straw-man creation of man/woman in dance. As the high-falutin' ness might imply formal fakeness, background needs mention to fully set the scene.

About the closing flourish. It's a musical thing to have an abrupt change to end. Note that the final line is an addition. Note also the third-foot rhyme. Note the reversal in the two penultimate lines. This is how a tango often ends with a quick, abrreviated final gesture.

draws out, the DREAMy scene. DO THEY
still dance the tango here? THEY DO
The Tango ArgenTINE.

WTC
I appreciate the time you took to read this and the even more time you spent on your reply. Nonetheless, I'm not going to engage the baggage you superimpose on this. What small percentage of your commentary you restrict to poem rather than poet still comes unpacked from that baggage.
Unread Yesterday, 09:27 PM

Sheesh. (I pity the guy with the toxic bidi.) Nice.

PS. The “let us pray” adds a vital spotlight on how hot yet careful these two people are.

Last edited by Allen Tice; Yesterday at 09:32 PM.